The Xcel Program is an alternative to the traditional Junior Olympic Program of USA Gymnastics. Xcel offers a broad-based, more affordable competitive experience.
Welcome to the GGA Xcel Team Program!
What is the Xcel Program?
The Xcel Program is an alternative to the traditional Junior Olympic Program of USA Gymnastics. Xcel offers a broad-based, more affordable competitive experience. In the traditional Junior Olympic Program, all participating athletes are required to follow a track of development including increased skill development, qualifying scores in sanctioned competitions for routines and increased hours of training and performance intensity as their level rises. A typical level 4 competing in the Junior Olympic Program will work out 9-12 hours/week. Gymnasts that you see on the Olympic teams were brought up through the Junior Olympic Program and after they successfully competed level 10, went on to the Elite level of competition. The goal of Xcel is to provide gymnasts of varying abilities a fun, nurturing, rewarding competitive experience at a different skill level then the Junior Olympic Program. There are five divisions within the Xcel Program. Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond. Each division has a set of requirements for each event. Routines are choreographed based upon each individual gymnast’s strengths. GGA will be offering the Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum divisions. The Xcel Program serves as a fantastic stepping stone to high school gymnastics.
GGA will continue to provide the same individualized, quality instruction with the Xcel Program, and we are confident that the competition that this program provides will build self-esteem, and teach life lessons that can be transferred to other sports and life situations as well.
- Gymnasts will learn choreography for balance beam & floor routines at workshops during the Summer/Fall of 2018. These workshops will be in addition to the practices that are focused on skill acquisition. Dates and times of workshops will be announced.Bronze & Silver gymnasts will practice 2 days/week during the school year
- Gold and Platinum gymnasts will practice 3 days/week during the school year
- Commitment to participate in the program year round
- Gymnast must participate in at all of the meets (more meets available if gymnasts qualify for state and regionals)
- Families are responsible for costs related to competition
2018-2019 Xcel Team Bundle includes:
- USA Gymnastics Membership (PARENTS must register their own athlete)
- Competition Leotard
- Warm Up Suit - Jacket and Matching Pants
- Meet entry fees
- Coaches Fees
(Due November 1st- This may be paid all at once or divided into 3 installments payable September-November).
- Bronze ($1000)
- Silver ($1100)
- Gold ($1100)
- Platinum ($1100)
Xcel 2018-19 Meet Schedule
- In-House: December 1st
- St. Jude: January 11-13, 2019 -Donald E. Stevens Convention Center, Rosemont
- King Arthur Gymnastics X-Caliber: January 25-27, 2019 -Adventure Commons, Bourbonnais
- Midwest Open: February 15-17, 2019 -Pheasant Run, St. Charles
- MEGA Spring Invite: March 1-3, 2019 -Midwest Elite Gymnastics Academy, Elgin
Optional Meets That Require Qualification & Additional Fees
- State Meet: GOLD/PLATINUM April 5-7, 2019 -Adventure Commons, Bourbonnais
- State Meet: BRONZE/SILVER April 12-14, 2019 -Adventure Commons, Bourbonnais
- Regional Meet: May 3-5, 2019 -Lexington, KY ~380 miles. Not sure that we will attend due to the travel time/distance.
- All Xcel gymnasts will be entered into the In-House Meet & 4 sanctioned meets for the 2018-2019 season with the exception of the State meet.
- The session time for each meet will not be known until a week or two before the time of the meet.
- All gymnasts must have their own transportation to and from all meets.
Interested in Competing on GGA’s Xcel Team?
- In the Spring of 2018, we held a Team Placement Event. Gymnastics aged 6 and above were invited to try out for our Xcel teams. We plan to hold another Team Placement event in the Spring of 2019.
- If you have experience as a part of a gymnastics team already and are interested in competing on the GGA Xcel team, contact us to schedule an evaluation.