The Xcel Program is an alternative to the traditional Junior Olympic Program of USA Gymnastics. Xcel offers a broad-based, more affordable competitive experience.
What is the Xcel Program?
What is the Xcel Program?
The Xcel Program is an alternative to the traditional Junior Olympic Program of USA Gymnastics. Xcel offers a broad-based, more affordable competitive experience. In the traditional Junior Olympic Program, all participating athletes are required to follow a track of development including increased skill development, qualifying scores in sanctioned competitions for routines and increased hours of training and performance intensity as their level rises. A typical level 4 competing in the Junior Olympic Program will work out 9-12 hours/week. Gymnasts that you see on the Olympic teams were brought up through the Junior Olympic Program and after they successfully competed level 10, went on to the Elite level of competition. The goal of Xcel is to provide gymnasts of varying abilities a fun, nurturing, rewarding competitive experience at a different skill level then the Junior Olympic Program. There are five divisions within the Xcel Program. Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond. Each division has a set of requirements for each event. Routines are choreographed based upon each individual gymnast’s strengths. GGA will be offering the Bronze, Silver and Gold division, The Xcel Program serves as a fantastic stepping stone to high school gymnastics.
GGA will continue to provide the same individualized, quality instruction with the Xcel Program, and we are confident that the competition that this program provides will build self-esteem, and teach life lessons that can be transferred to other sports and life situations as well.
- Bronze & Silver gymnasts will practice 2 days/week during the school year
- Gold gymnasts will practice 3 days/week during the school year
- Commitment to participate in the program year round
- Gymnast must participate in at least 1 of the meets (more meets available if gymnasts qualify for state and regionals)
- Families are responsible for costs related to competition
Extra Costs Associated with the Xcel Program
- USA Gymnastics Membership-$54 (GGA must register each athlete)
- Competition Leotard: Bronze, $50 Silver & Gold, $102.25
- Warm Up Suit - Jacket and Matching Pants $116.60
- Bag/Backpack -$33
- Meet entry fees ($75-$90/meet)
- Coaches Fees
- For the 2017-2018 Season, GGA will attend 3-6 meets during the Xcel season, January through late May. These meets will be determined in the Fall of 2017. Gymnasts may choose to participate in whichever meets work with their schedule, however, they must attend 1 meet during the season. Typically meets are scheduled for multiple sessions over an entire weekend. The session time for each meet will not be known until closer to the time of the meet.
- We will choose meets that are relatively close to La Grange. We do not anticipate attending meets that will require any hotel costs.
- All gymnasts must have their own transportation to and from all meets.
Interested in Competing on GGA’s Xcel Team?
If you are interested in competing on GGA’s Xcel Team, we are asking that silver gymnasts participate in at least 14 summer classes or 7 weeks of class, and Golds participate in 18 summer classes or 7 weeks of class. Starting with the Fall of 2017, attend the 2 or 3 practices per week depending on the gymnasts level. Please let us know as soon as possible if you plan to participate in the Xcel Program so that we can plan accordingly for the next season.